LUM Distributes 2020 Hunger Hike Proceeds,
Thanks Community for Their Generosity
At a celebration this week, it was announced that the 29th annual Hunger Hike raised $123,068. Each of sponsoring organizations received $36,299. This is the most money that Hunger Hike has ever raised – an especially amazing accomplishment in light of the COVID pandemic and switch from a traditional 3K walk to a virtual event. The celebration was capped off with the presentation of checks to representatives of the three sponsoring organizations: Duane Sellers representing St. Thomas Aquinas Haiti Ministry; Katy Bunder, Food Finders Food Bank, Inc.; and Wes Tillett, Lafayette Urban Ministry. All major donors and event sponsors were also recognized. More than half of the money comes from local churches.
The top six CHURCH fundraisers:
- St. Thomas Aquinas – $40,000+
- Chapel of the Good Shepherd
- First United Methodist Church
- Bethany Presbyterian Church
- Our Saviour Lutheran Church
- St. Andrew United Methodist Church
The top six INDIVIDUAL fundraisers:
- Rob Pahl – $12,000+
- Duane and Jane Sellers – $10,000+
- Michael Lockwood
- Alex and Susie Eros
- Father Chris Saliga OP
- Patti O’Callaghan
The top six organization/group TEAMS:
- Decatur Street Kids – $2,000+
- Navigators at Purdue
- Purdue English Department – Poets & Critics
- Grandma’s Bunch
- Dogs Against Hunger
- Food Finders Food Bank, Inc.
Special thanks to DIAMOND Level event sponsor — Arconic ($5,000 donation); and the Gold Level event sponsors — Lafayette Life Foundation ($3,400), Cook Medical ($2,500), and Tipmont REMC ($2,000). Hunger Hike corporate gifts totaled $26,600.
Lafayette Urban Ministry
Food Finders Food Bank, Inc.
Fr. Chris Saliga, OP
St. Thomas Aquinas Center
Hunger Hike is an annual Fall community fundraising weekend which includes the traditional event on Riehle Plaza and the 3K Walk on the Wabash Heritage Trail along the Wabash River. Since the early 1990s, Lafayette Urban Ministry, St. Thomas Aquinas Center and Food Finders Food Bank, Inc. have been organizing an event & walk to support food programs locally, regionally and globally. Formerly known as the Crop Walk, which started in the mid-1960s, the event was officially renamed Hunger Hike in 1993. All Hunger Hike proceeds directly support the Lafayette Urban Ministry food assistance programs including the LUM Protein Food Pantry, Food Finders Food Bank, Inc. including the Mobile Food Pantry, and St. Thomas Aquinas’ Haitian Ministry including the Haiti water purification and sustainable seed projects.
Each year, Hunger Hike gives companies, churches, organizations, families & individuals several ways to be a part of our community’s “Fight Against Hunger.”
Livestream – Hunger Hike 2020
If you wish to view the recording of the Hunger Hike 2020 Livestream, click below.
DONATE to HUNGER HIKE
Yes! You still are able to donate to Hunger Hike 2020. To give ONLINE, click the button to the right -or- text HHIKE to 41444.
Hunger Hike 2020 – September 13 – 20
Hunger Hike is one of Greater Lafayette’s longest running fundraising events, with a history stretching back nearly 30 years. Together, we’ve raised more than $2 million to help FIGHT HUNGER.
Proceeds from Hunger Hike support the work of three different agencies. Lafayette Urban Ministry will use it to feed the homeless, stock the LUM Protein Food Pantry, and feed children in the after school and summer childcare programs. Food Finders Food Bank, Inc. will use it to feed people impacted by COVID-19 here in Tippecanoe County. And the St. Thomas Aquinas Haiti Ministry will use it to promote the hybrid seed and food storage programs, open a community store, and bring clean drinking water to the parish of Baudin. Participating in Hunger Hike is an opportunity to support these outstanding local organizations while being part of a meaningful community event.
Sunday, September 13 to Sunday, September 20
- Starting on Sunday, September 13 we will call on you to WALK FAR IN THE FIGHT AGAINST HUNGER
- Download the STRIDEKICK App. Create a personal challenge for the week or participate in a leaderboard challenge with up to ten members of your fundraising team to see who can get the most steps. To download click one: iOs | Android |
- So walk 3 miles or walk a marathon. But WALK, RAISE MONEY, and SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
- Throughout the week we’ll be posting videos and inspirational messages to help keep you going
Sunday September 20 – LIVE-STREAM EVENT
- At 1:00 pm on Sunday, September 20 we’ll be hosting a livestream event to close out Hunger Hike and celebrate our success
- Enjoy behind—scenes videos from LUM, Food Finders, and St. Tom’s, great speeches, and entertainment from One Size Fits All comedy, Scott Starkey the Wizard of the Wabash, and Studio b Dance & Fitness.
Everyone who raises at least $50 for Hunger Hike will get a Hunger Hike 2020 T-shirt, which you can proudly wear during Challenge Week.
And new this year, anyone who raises $250 or more will get a Hunger Hike Hero yard sign!