Highlights from the Media Event about Hunger Hike 5K Run
Joe Micon, LUM executive director, hosted a media event at the new location of the first-ever, Hunger Hike 5K Run — Munger Park. Due to the cresting Wabash River, the Wabash Heritage Trail is not yet ready for our spring 5K event. The Hunger Hike 5K Run planning committee worked with the City of Lafayette — and the decision was made to move the race to Munger Park (3505 Greenbush Street, Lafayette). Click HERE to Register online for the Hunger Hike 5K Run.
The highlights of Joe Micon’s remarks at the media event are as follows:
- The run will now start and finish in Munger Park—due to the high water along the Wabash River.
- The weather forecast for Saturday is perfect running weather — cool, clear and overcast.
- The Munger Park and Chatham Square trails are perfect for all levels of runners.
- The latest “chip technology” will be used for timing.
- Each runner will receive a commemorative T-shirt.
- The winning runners will take away cash prizes: First place Male & Female Winner: $100 each; Second place Male & Female Winners: $50 each; Third place Male & Female Winners: $25 each
- The run benefits three organizations focused on Feeding the Hungry: LUM Food Programs including St. John’s/LUM Food Pantry; Food Finders Food Bank; and St. Thomas Aquinas’ Haiti Ministry
If you wish to see the Media Event online, click HERE.
Online Registration for the HH5K will close at noon on Friday, April 19, 2013, but race day walk-ups are always welcome.
The purpose of the Hunger Hike 5K Run is to use physical exercise to draw attention to and funds for “Feeding the Hungry.” All Hunger Hike 5K Run proceeds directly support the Lafayette Urban Ministry food assistance programs including the St. John’s/LUM Food Pantry, Food Finders Food Bank, and St. Thomas Aquinas’ Haitian Ministry including the Haiti Water Purification Project. The latest “chip technology” will be used to give all runners an accurate race result time.
It’s an opportunity to support these outstanding local organizations while enjoying a serious 5K event.
- Saturday, April 20, 2013
- 8:00-8:45 a.m. EDT – On-site Registration
- 9:00 a.m. EDT – 5K Run begins
- Munger Park
- 3505 Greenbush Street, Lafayette, Indiana
- $25 before noon on April 19, 2013
- $30 day of race
NOW through noon on Friday, April 19, 2013. Click HERE to Register.
Saturday, April 20, 2013 from 8:00-8:45 a.m. EDT
Registration starts at 8:00 a.m. EDT
Registration is located in Munger Park, 3505 Greenbush Street, Lafayette. Participants may pick up their Registration Packets and T-shirt before the HH5K — on Saturday, April 20th from 8:00 to 8:45 a.m.
Race begins at 9:00 a.m. EDT
The Hunger Hike 5K Run will convene at Munger Park (Greenbush Street entrance) with start/finish at the shelter in Munger Park. The race will follow Munger Park’s beautiful, paved lake-front & Chatham Square trails.
The latest “chip technology” will be used to give all runners an accurate race result time.
- Pre-Registration cost is $25.00 and is available until noon on Friday, April 19, 2013
- On-site Registration cost is $30.00 — the day of the race from 8:00 to 8:45 a.m.
- Extra Hunger Hike 5K Run T-shirts are available for $15.00 each.
All Hunger Hike 5K Run participants, Register Here!
Online Registration for the Hunger Hike 5K Run will close on Friday, April 19, 2013 at noon but race day walk-ups are always welcome.
Participate in the Hunger Hike 5K Run even if you’re Out of Town –prefer running on a treadmill – are not a runner – or just want to Sleep-in – and make a difference as a Hunger Hike 5K Virtual Runner. Virtual Runners will receive a Hunger Hike 5K T-shirt and will be listed in the final results as a supporter of the Hunger Hike 5K Run.
Runner Benefits & Prizes
All eligible Hunger Hike 5K Run participants will receive a special Hunger Hike 5K T-shirt. Participants will be provided with water and a snack before and following the race. The overall men and women’s winners will each receive a $100 cash prize. There will also be cash and non-cash prizes for category winners. The race will be electronically timed using computer chip technology recording their race time as they cross the timed finish line. Results will be available upon completion of the race and posted on the Hunger Hike website before noon on the day of the race. All runners of all ages and abilities are welcome!
Note: If you cannot attend the race but would still like to make a tax deductible donation, please CLICK HERE!
Mark Your Calendars! And also Join Us for…
Hunger Hike 2013
Sunday, September 15, 2013
Riehle Plaza, Lafayette
Join LUM online and help us serve children and families even better.