Hunger Hike 2015 is one of the most well respected and longest running fundraising events in our community. What’s special about this event is the focus on simply Fighting Hunger & Feeding Families.
This year there will be face painting, Zumba, massages, hot dogs, and music — and you’ll be able to meet Purdue Pete & cheerleaders, the Purdue Volleyball & Women’s Basketball teams and three Purdue coaches as well as see the Boilermaker Special. Keep raising money for Hunger Hike until we meet our goal — and join us for the Hunger Hike events this weekend to celebrate.
Hunger Hike details and schedule is as follows:
Hunger Hike Kick-Off event
Sunday, September 20
Riehle Plaza, N 2nd Street, Lafayette
- 1:15 p.m.
- Purdue Cheerleaders perform
- National Anthem: Sheila Klinker, Indiana State Representative & Kelly Jacobs
- Zumba warm-up with Brooke from Studio b Dance & Fitness, Lafayette
- Starting at Noon
- Check-in and turn in your donations — Enjoy DJ Powder, Clowns, Face painting, Massages, snacks and more
- 1:45 p.m.
- Kick-Off ceremony with
- Coach Nadine Morgan, Coach David Kucik & Coach Dave Shondell, Coach Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton
- State Representatives Sheila Klinker & Ron Alting
- Mayor Tony Roswarski, Lafayette
- Peter Bunder, West Lafayette City Council president
- Sally Seigrist, Tippecanoe County Council member
- Judge Faith Graham & Judge Sean Persin
- Shamus from K105 Radio!
- Joe Micon, Lafayette Urban Ministry
- Fr. Patrick Baikauskas, St. Thomas Aquinas Center
- Katy Bunder, Food Finders Food Bank, Inc.
- Kick-Off ceremony with
- 2 p.m. — Hunger Hike begins, led by
- Purdue Pete
- Purdue Cheerleaders
- Boilermaker Special
- Purdue Women’s Basketball & Volleyball teams
- Purdue Rowing & Crew Team
- End of Hike — Riehle Plaza — Celebration Picnic with Hot dogs, chips & bottled water
To view the 3K Walk route map, click HERE.
Saturday, September 19
Celery Bog Nature Area, 1780 Cumberland Ave., West Lafayette
- 8 a.m. – 9 a.m. — Check-in
- 9 a.m.
- Welcome – Joe Micon, Lafayette Urban Ministry
- Celebrity runners introduced – Shamus from K105; Rev. Bradley Pace, pastor at St. John’s Episcopal Church; Joe Micon, executive director of LUM; and Fr. Patrick Baikauskas, OP – pastor/director of campus ministries, St. Thomas Aquinas Center, West Lafayette
- Invocation – Fr. Patrick Baikauskas, St. Thomas Aquinas Center
- After Run
- Results posted
- Trophies – top female, male & youth runners
Hunger Hike is an annual Fall community fundraising weekend which includes the traditional 3K Walk on Sunday as well as a 5K run on Saturday. This year Hunger Hike is Saturday, September 19 & Sunday, September 20, 2015.
All Hunger Hike proceeds directly support the Lafayette Urban Ministry food assistance programs including the St. John’s/LUM Food Pantry, Food Finders Food Bank, Inc., and St. Thomas Aquinas Center’s Haitian Ministry including the Haiti Water Purification Project. Since early 1990s Lafayette Urban Ministry, St. Thomas Aquinas Center and Food Finders Food Bank, Inc. have been organizing a walk to support food programs locally, regionally and globally. Formerly known as the Crop Walk, it was officially renamed Hunger Hike in 1993.
Today, Hunger Hike gives companies, organizations, families & individuals many ways to be a part of a community event with a tremendous positive impact on “Fighting Hunger.”