Hunger Hike Updates on construction, new 5K route, honorary co-chairs & event sponsors
West Lafayette, IN – Hunger Hike 2015 is coming up quickly — and a lot has happened in the last few days. Please join us for this Media Event to hear updates on construction, new 5K route, honorary co-chairs & event sponsors. Details are as follows:
- Date: Tuesday, September 8
- Time: 11:00 a.m.
- Place: Riehle Plaza, N 2nd Street, Lafayette
The Hunger Hike updates which will be announced are as follows:
- CONSTRUCTION – Due to new construction schedules on the John T. Myers Pedestrian Bridge, the Hunger Hike 3K Walk route has been changed. The Hunger Hike Kick-off event will remain at our traditional location — Riehle Plaza, Lafayette (Sunday, September 20).
- HONORARY CO-CHAIRS – 2015 Co-chairs will offer remarks and be available for questions and one-on-one interviews
- Sharon Versyp, Purdue Women’s Basketball head coach
- David Kucik, Purdue Rowing & Crew Team head coach
- Dave Shondell, Purdue Volleyball head coach
- Hunger Hike 5K Run – Saturday, September 19
- Hunger Hike is the FIRST official 5K Run on the NEW Cattail Trail Loop in West Lafayette. Mayor John Dennis & Janet Fawley, West Lafayette Parks & Recreation Department Superintendent will make remarks and be available to answer questions.
- CELEBRITY RUNNERS – Announcement of the HH 5K Run celebrity runners
- Joe Micon, executive director, LUM
- Fr. Patrick Baikauskas, OP – pastor/director of campus ministries, St. Thomas Aquinas Center, West Lafayette
- Shamus, co-host of the K105 Shamus & Annie Show
- Rev. Bradley Pace, pastor, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Lafayette
- EVENT SPONSORS — Gold & Silver Level event sponsors will be announced. To date those include Alcoa, Inc., Bison Financial Group, and Evonik Corporation – Tippecanoe Laboratories.
Representatives from the three sponsoring organizations, Lafayette Urban Ministry, Food Finders Food Bank, Inc. & St. Thomas Aquinas Center, will be available for questions and one-on-one interviews.
For more information on Hunger Hike 2015, please visit our website at www.hungerhike.org.
Lafayette Urban Ministry
Food Finders Food Bank, Inc.
Fr. Patrick Baikauskas, OP
Pastor, Director of Campus Ministry
St. Thomas Aquinas Center
Hunger Hike is an annual Fall community fundraising weekend which includes the traditional 3K Walk on Sunday as well as a 5K run on Saturday. This year Hunger Hike is Saturday, September 19 & Sunday, September 20, 2015.
All Hunger Hike proceeds directly support the Lafayette Urban Ministry food assistance programs including the St. John’s/LUM Food Pantry, Food Finders Food Bank, Inc., and St. Thomas Aquinas Center’s Haitian Ministry including the Haiti Water Purification Project. Since early 1990s Lafayette Urban Ministry, St. Thomas Aquinas Center and Food Finders Food Bank, Inc. have been organizing a walk to support food programs locally, regionally and globally. Formerly known as the Crop Walk, it was officially renamed Hunger Hike in 1993.
Today, Hunger Hike gives companies, organizations, families & individuals many ways to be a part of a community event with a tremendous positive impact on “Fighting Hunger.”